Our sturdy frame sitting on top of our solid deck...
We built the deck and we got our confidence up. (Yes, the deck is still holding up quite nicely). So next it was time to build the frame.
Once the deck was done, the rest moved along fairly quickly. We knew how to build the frame as we learned a bit from doing the frame for the deck. The framing was all made with 2X4s. We bought them in 8 foot sections and planned to use any extra cuts for other parts of the build. And we did as the build progressed. Our deck was about 8X8 when we finished, with a little bit hanging off the front. The frame we built was 6 feet high all around. For the back wall, we made it 6X8 to cover the entire back side of the playhouse. For each of the walls we made it 6X6 because we wanted to leave a small porch for the boys to be able to climb onto the deck and in case they wanted to play or walk around.
We started with the back wall first. We built the 6X8 frame with only one vertical support. After the back wall frame was up we decided to add two more vertical supports. Definitely the right move. We screwed the back wall frame to the deck with our 3 inch deck screws. They were long enough to be secure where as the 3.5 inch screws would have popped out the bottom of the deck. And as any parent knows, underneath play equipment is where kids love to go. Once we had the back wall frame secured, we were on to the side wall frames.
The side wall frames were identical to each other. They were both 6X6 so we could leave space for the porch at the front of the playhouse. Once they were screwed into the deck, we secured the side wall frames to the back wall frame. That way none of the frames would fall over but rather they would support each other.
Next up was the front wall framing. We decided to leave a fairly generous doorway (actual decision on door still to be determined) so it would not feel too small. And I think we made that happen. The front wall frames are 2X6 each with one horizontal cross beam. We decided to put horizontal cross beams on the back wall too. They were put in for support but with the secondary purpose of attaching shelves to them.
We still have not decided what to do with the door. We have discussed a fabric of some sort to be pulled back, a sliding barn door, a bi-fold door or no door at all. But with the way we built the frame we have options. The only thing I am sure of right now is that we built this playhouse tall enough that I can stand up without fear of bumping my head and at 6 foot 1 inches that can be difficult at times.